14-18 Day Winter Trips
PASSPORT NEEDED FOR ALL TRIPS
These trips start with the new year and run through the end of April. We will be fishing Hurricane Bank 980 miles from San Diego and offshore Islands. Target Species are Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna (up to 400 Pounds) and large Bluefin (up to 300 pounds) are also a possibility on these trips.
SUGGESTED ITEMS TO BRING
14-18 DAY WINTER TRIP PREPARATION
The following list of gear will help you prepare for the trip. It is by no means a complete list – and some may consider it to be more than needed. A big part of the service we offer is to make sure our passengers are as prepared as possible. Of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to call us at (619) 226-8030 and we'll be happy to assist you in planning for your adventure!
RODS AND REELS
For 12 - 23 Day Winter trips, here is a list of some suggested rods and reels that would be useful to have. There are several variations on model numbers and type of Rods and Reels. We’ve listed the model #’s that we feel work best. Your favorite California saltwater Tackle Store can assist you in comparable products if you wish. If you need the name and phone number of a reputable Tackle Store near you, please give us call.
For 12 - 23 Day Winter trips, here is a list of some suggested Terminal Tackle that would be useful to have. We’ve listed the model #’s that we feel work best. Your favorite California saltwater Tackle Store can assist you in comparable products if you wish. If you need the name and phone number of a reputable Tackle Store near you, please give us a call.
* PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP – YOU MUST HAVE A PASSPORT! Due to Homeland Security requirements, all passengers, and crew members, must have a valid Passport.
* DUFFEL BAGS – Considered best for storage, and for dirty laundry.
* PANTS Bring a change for each day. Light material is best.
* SHIRTS You may need 1 or 2 each day. If you?re sun sensitive long sleeves are in order. Light fabric for quick drying and coolness in warm weather. Sweatshirts are handy for nights and cool weather.
* SOCKS Yes! The more the better. At least a pair for each day.
* SHORTS For those hot sultry summer days.
* UNDIES Don't forget them!
* JACKET For those cool fishing nights and cooler weather.
* SNEAKERS Bring 2 pair so you'll always have a dry spare.
* RUBBER BOOTS – One pair of short, comfortable boots.
* HAT – Wide brim, baseball caps, foreign legion. Think Sun Protection. * LIGHT RAIN GEAR – Very seldom used, but appreciated when it rains.
* SUN GLASSES – Polarized to cut the glare. Security straps will prevent loss over the side.
* TOILETRIES – Bath towels, shampoo, soap, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. Sunscreen (water proof and broad spectrum type)
* TOOLS – Dykes (cross cutting pliers), duck bill pliers, holder and belt, hook sharpener.
* ROD BELTS – A personal choice as to what is most comfortable for you. Brands: Ripoffs, Tanaguchi, Braid, Smitty. There are several sizes and a wide price range. (Available for rent at Fisherman's Landing)
* HARNESS – Should be the kidney belt or sit down type.
* RUBBER GLOVES – For handling your catch at the end of trip.
* HAY HOOK – For dragging fish around the dock.
* ENTERTAINMENT – Use the travel time to catch up on that favorite book. We have a great selection of DVD’s, but you’re more than welcome to bring one or two to share.
* WRITING MATERIAL – Notebook, stationary, pens and pencils for making notes on what to bring next trip (and what to leave behind.) Keep a daily journal of the action – it will add to your photos.
* SEA SICK MEDICATION & REMEDIES – Check with your Physician for preferred method of prevention (Transderm patches are back! These appear to be highly successful.) There are several over-the-counter products that are very effective. Your local Pharmacist would be another excellent source for recommendations.
Line Size 200# Spectra (750 yards) topped with 25 feet of 150# or 200# Mono Reel Size Accurate 50W, Penn 50SW, Penn 50S, or Shimano TL50W LRS, Rod Size 6455XXH or 760H Cal Star Grafighter
Line Size 200# Spectra (800 yards) topped with 25 feet of 135# Mono Reel Size Accurate 50W, Penn 50SW, or Shimano Tiagra 50W
Line Size 200# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 feet of 125# Momo Reel Size Accurate 50, or Penn 50S Rod Size 6465XH or 760H Cal Star Grafighter
Line Size 200# Spectra (800 yards) topped with 25 feet of 100# Mono Reel Size Accurate 50W, Penn 50SW, Shimano TLD50 LRS
Line Size 200# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 feet of 100# Mono Reel Size Accurate 50, or Penn 50S Rod Size 6465XH, 6460XH, or 760M Cal Star Grafighter
Line Size 130# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 feet of 80# Mono Reel Size Accurate 30 (2-speed,) Penn 30S, Penn 20T (both 2-speeds,) Shimano TLD 30 (2-speed,) Rod Size 6465H, 6460H, OR 760M Cal Star Grafighter
Line Size 130# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 Feet of 80# Mono Reel Size Accurate 30 (2-speed,) or Shimano TLD30 (2-speed) Rod Size 6465H or 760M Cal Star Grafighter
Line Size 80# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 feet of 60# Mono Reel Size Accurate 12 (2-speed,) Shimano TLD10 (2-speed) Rod Size 6460H, 6465H or 760L
Line Size 50# Mono Rod Size 670H, 6470, 6465H or 700H Cal Star Grafighter Reel Size Accurate 665H, Accurate 12 Penn 4/0 Yellowtail Special (4:1 gear ratio), Newell 533 (4:6 to 1 gear ratio), or Newell 540 (4:6 to 1 gear ratio)
Line Size 40# Mono Rod Size 655H or 670 Reel Size Accurate 665, Penn 4/0, Newell 533, or Newell 338
Line Size 30# Mono Rod Size 670 or 870 Reel Size Accurate 870, Newell 338, Penn 555, or Shimano 20/40
Line Size 15# or 20# Mono Rod Size 270 Reel Size Accurate 870, Newell 229 or Daiwa SL20
RIG #11 CLIPPERTON ONLY
Line Size 200# Spectra (700 yards) topped with 25 feet of 200# Mono Rod Size 6455XXH or 760H Grafighter Reel Size Accurate 50W, Penn 50SW, or Shimano Tiagra 50W
* Preferred brands of rods are Cal Star, Cal Star Grafighter, Seeker Black Steel Graphite and Seeker Classic E Glass. * All reels should have light weight aluminum spools. Accurate and Newell are best. * Preferred brand of line is Izorline (blue only) * Preferred brands for Spectra line are Line One or Blackwater * Preferred brand of Flourocarbon is Blackwater
Mustad 94150, Bronze Finish
Size:6/0 Quantity: 36
Mustad 7691 Big Game
Size: 8/0 Quantity: 10 Size: 9/0 Quantity: 10 Size: 11/0 Quantity: 10
Mustad 76915 Big Game
Size: 12/0 Quanity: 10 *A must for big baits
Size: 16/0 Quantity 10
Size: 5/0 Quantity: 15 Size: 6/0 Quantity: 15 Size: 7/0 Quantity: 10
Size: 20/0 Quantity 10
MACKEREL CATCHING RIGS
Owner Octopus (4 Hook Rigs & 2 Hook Rigs) * 8 #4 Hooks, 20 lb. with 4 hooks per rig for Caballitto's
SQUID CATCHING RIGS
2 Mid or Large size (May come in handy)
LEADER & BACKING MATERIAL
* 50 yards of Flourocarbon in 90lb, 130lb, 150lb & 200lb. Plus appropriate sleeves Preferred brand is Blackwater. * All reels for big Tuna (100b+) should be equipped with at least 3/4 spool of 130lb or 200lb Spectra backing. Preferred brands are Line One or Blackwater.
1 1 lb. Spools of most commonly used: 100#, 80#, 60# & 50# Blue only.
Torpedo 8 4oz, 8oz, 12oz, & 16oz.
CASTING LURES – SALAS, TADY, HOPKINS & BURNS BOMBS are our favorites.
Small heavys with single forged hooks. Assorted colors: Chrome, Bronze anodized, Purple, etc. Quantity: 12 Total Catchy Tackle or Burns Bombs (assorted colors) Quantity: 4 Total PL68 (White or Glow in the Dark – make sure they have a 7691 Hook) Quantity: 3
Catchy Tackle Magnum Jett Quantity: 1 Total Marauders or Yozuri Bonita Plugs. Best colors are: Black/Orange, Purple, Chrome/Tiger Quantity: 2 Total Jet Head type Lures (16oz) Quantity: 1 Total 10/0 Mustad 7691 Hooks Quantity: 3 Total
TROLLING STRAP WIRE
27# Seven Strand 1 30ft Spool (A-1 Sleeves)
40# Seven Strand 2 30 ft. Spools (A-2 Sleeves)
60# Seven Strand 2 30 ft. Spools (A-2 Sleeves)
90# Seven Strand 2 30 ft. Spools (A-3 Sleeves)
275# Seven Strand 2 30 ft. Spools (A-7 Sleeves)
No Mono-coated wire
A-1 Seven Strand 50
A-2 Seven Strand 50
A-3 Seven Strand 50
A-7 Seven Strand 50
1 pair Crimping Pliers (Hi Seas are best)
RINGS – Heavy duty welded wire type
Size 5 20 Size 7 20
4/0 McMahon (Black) Quantity: 2 Dozen 2/0 McMahon (Black) Quantity: 2 Dozen
Wood, Plastic or Soft-Pacs to store your Tackle.